Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Distant Tree

I've called this view my mini view because I can see the hills in the distance. For several years a tree has been the focal point of many of my sunrise photos. I was never sure what property the tree grew on but it showed above the other trees and above the hills beyond. I came to like the tree. Then one day a few weeks ago I looked out at my view and there was no tree. I don't know when it was cut down, but still feel sad at the loss.

Here in Eucalyptus Hills we were very close to one of the worst wild fires in California history. It happened back in 2003 and was called the Cedar Fire. Some homes burned on the edges of Eucalyptus Hills but both Lakeside firefighters and a change in wind direction kept it from storming through here. We left without knowing if we would have a home to come back  to. Not a good feeling. Since then many eucalyptus trees in this area have been cut down. At first the chain saws could be heard every day. There was another fire scare a few years ago with the Witch Creek Fire that burned north of here.

Now we only hear the chain saws once in awhile. I didn't notice the sound of saws when the tree was cut. Or maybe I did but didn't pay attention.

This first photo is of an old dead tree that I took many photos of and on the right "my" tree.












This is the last photo I took of the tree. It is strange to feel a sense of loss at something like this tree but I do.

No comments: