Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pastel Class

Last week I worked on this picture of my old photo of a rose while in class. The painting is not finished but the instructor wanted me to stop working on the rose and finish up the background and put in the leaves. There is more I want to do to this but now am undecided...what to do?


This is a scan of the original photo.


Back in the mid 1990s when I first got on the internet and made my very first home page I used another rose, the one one the left below, on my web site. I took away the background and put that rose on a pink background. Later I made a gif out of that rose and used a transparent background.


This rose was modified using a paint program similar to Photoshop.  I started a section on my web site with other rose photos that I scanned and modified. I upgraded my computer so I could use the Photoshop program that I had bought. I got the PS as an upgrade when my other photo editing program was bought by PS...lucky I had registered it...that program came free when I bought my first scanner. For some reason this photo was stolen by others and put into many photo collections. I used to get upset at that and write to the collectors asking them to take my rose off their pages. Mostly they did.

I have tried to draw that rose several times and have not been happy with my work on it. URF! Anyway I couldn't go to my class this past Wednesday...E R made plans and I needed to pick up Hailey from school.

Three views of the rose put together into one picture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful rose and I can understand your instructor.... in painting "less is more" let the viewer complete the image... one the big things in painting is knowing when to stop!!!

dotcombs said...

Carol, I know...but the picture isn't finished and I want to keep working...I guess I will do another one and leave this one as is. It is good advice.