Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lakeside Rodeo 1938

Was searching for anything Lakeside California last week and saw a link to a sale item on Amazon. It is a Rodeo Program for the 14th Lakeside Rodeo 1938. This was before I was born. My Dad grew up in Lakeside. My Mom came here when she was a teen. She dressed up in shorts and with other girls led the rodeo parade one year. When I saw the program I took a chance and bought it. Looking through it I found a photo of three girls standing on hay bales. I am very sure one of them is my Mom. She must have posed for the photo the year before. She is on the right side of the photo. Her name then was Lillian Ulery.  I think the girl in the center is Elise Fortner. She was a long time friend of my Mom.

 
 
Lakeside had a really good arena for the rodeo when I was young. People in Lakeside had wanted to bring first class rodeo to Lakeside. During WW1 there was no rodeo. After the war they brought rodeo back to Lakeside. A high school friend of mine and I went to the rodeo in 1958. In the 1960s a freeway was built through the rodeo grounds. The rodeo association found another place for the rodeo grounds but for me it will never be the same as it was. Anyway I am giving the program to the Lakeside Historical Society. It was fun having it and I did scan the pages.
 

No comments: