Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday and Friday

Thursday is a day for thinking about all the things I planned to do this week and haven't. It is not the end of the week and still it is too close to the end. Where the freshness of a new week starting has worn off...a sort of nothing day. The sky out is clear and it looks like a bright sunny day about to begin even if it is Thursday. People who live paycheck to paycheck are out of money on Thursdays. Thursday means one more work day to look forward to until the week end. I'm retired but I have a granddaughter in school so I'm up thinking about waking her up and getting breakfast ready. Then it is the off to school morning drive down the hill. I'm one of those parents that crowd the drop off at the school. There is room for three rows of cars to slide through while watching for children threading their way between the cars.

When I went to that school we road the bus when we were with our mother and then later the times we lived with our father and step mother we walked to school. The school is now a middle school. I went to kindergarten there. That little one room building was behind the main school and was taken down years ago when the original school building was flattened. I was in fifth grade when the building came down and our teacher let us go to the windows and watch it fall. We were in the new building then which is now the old building now. Even that was not the original Lakeside school. The one room school my father went to is down the road and still stands. It is where the district offices are. I'm not sure what it is used for. I know I was actually inside the building back in the nineteen fifties.

Took Hailey to school. That was yesterday and she is back to school today. Last evening was the school's open house. The orchestra and the band played in the auditorium and then the show choir performed. Enjoyed the show except when the orchestra was playing a couple two rows behind me kept yapping...mainly the woman. The louder they played the louder she got. I did turn around and give her a dirty look but it didn't faze her.

Hailey was smiling and looking good during the performance. This is probably the last year that I will be at the school ever. It seems strange that I went to school there so many years in the late 1940s and early 1950s and then drove past the school for so many years and never as much as walked on the grounds. My children didn't go there. It has been Hailey's school for the last three years. I got to see the changes made to the school and buildings. My eighth grand graduation ceremony was on that same stage. Now there are too many students for that and graduations are held out side at the back of the school.

The best part of spring seems to be fading fast here. I know it is cold in the north and places could still have snow falling. Here our spring is almost over. The green hills are turning gold and then they will be brown until next year.

No comments: