Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rip Offs

Something I did brought me to the attention of two bogus companies...which seem to be the same outfit. They got my name and credit card information and signed me up for memberships in HomePlay and Value Plus at just about the same time. These companies charge a monthly fee to send you discount coupons and percent off gift cards. My credit card company accepted one charge and then rejected the second charge and called me. Thank goodness! I had never heard of either company.


My card number was changed. That cost me $10.00 though. And I still have one bogus charge to deal with...though my credit card company said it would be removed. Looking through some junk mail before discarding it I found letters from each of these companies welcoming me to membership. URF! The coupons and discounts are with well known companies. Included in each letter was discount coupons to several car rental agencys. The problem with that is I'm not going to rent a car! Coupons are only worth while if you need the service or product.


I've always been one of those people that can't stand coupons and have said in the past that I would gladly pay not to have to deal with them. Remember when housewives would claim that they saved hundreds of dollars by using coupons? That was only if the stores would take more than one coupon for a single item...they were not supposed to do it then and now they are not allowed to do it. If they don't sell one item for each coupon it is fraud. The owners of a local run down market made tons of money by getting coupons from news papers and magazines. They didn't sell the products to anyone. They turned the coupons in to finance new stores. They did get caught and had to pay fines but they are still in business and quite well off.


So I would never pay some bogus company every month just to get coupons and discounts that are out there for free. They picked the wrong person. I sure would like to start a class action against these companies for all the people that were charged fees and didn't find out until they had paid and paid and paid for something they didn't want.


Anyway I used the contact form on each of their web sites to ask to be paid back for what they charged me and for the money it cost me to have my card numbers changed. I won't hold my breath until the checks come in the mail!

No comments: