Tuesday, April 3, 2012

1940 Census

The 1940 census is now public. I wasn't born in time to get counted but it didn't take me all that long to find the names of my mother and father. I found the right pages right away and then it was just reading through them one by one. My family was on page 50. I recognized many names of people my family knew along the way. My great grandfather is there with my great uncle. Name spelled wrong...they put an e on the end of Clark. They did get their first names spelled right. Something earlier census takers often did not do. And they mixed up their places of birth. Oh well.

My father's house was right across the road from Grandpa Clark. My mother wanted to go to school so when her mother and step father went back to Washington state my mother stayed behind. She kept house and went to school and married the boy next door...well across the road.


June was my cousin and Russell a family friend. It is strange to see these names on this list and know what was ahead in life for them. They have all passed on and though I wasn't listed I really was there and now I'm the only one left.

No comments: