Thursday, July 26, 2012

Copyright

I saw post on my fb page about copyright, and I made this comment that I wanted to re post here:


"Your post was shared to my fb page. I read her blog and am happy she learned something about copyright. She is an author and even then she couldn't see that photographs like any other creative art are property of the photographer. I'm not a pro but have had my work stolen and learned the mindset of people that think a photograph is not art. One person even told me that God created a rose I photographed so I had no right to claim it as mine. URF! I wrote a lot of emails to people and contacted web servers getting my photos removed. They made me feel like the bad guy in all this. Thanks for letting me vent on your site."

Web collectors would surf the web and snag photos and graphics to re post in their own collections. These collections gave visitors the feeling that the graphic they saw were free to use. Some of my photos were added to web collections and used on other web sites. I did as I said above. I wrote letters and contacted web servers. Some servers insisted that I fill out a form and snail mail it to them. I did it all. I used a program to protect my rose photos and I also used Digimarc. After a few years it seemed that web servers were getting better about respecting copyright and there seemed to be fewer web collection sites. Servers like Webshots insisted that posters be the owner or copyright holder of anything they posted.

What was the purpose of these web collectors? It always seemed to me that they were no talent posers that wanted to use the work of others to gain some fame for themselves. Why else would they want to display photos and art work that was not their own.

Now I have learned about Pinterest. This web server is using the same mindset used by these early web graphic collectors only now to make money for themselves. They distance themselves by saying that any copyright violation is on the person doing the pinning. Yet they are enabling this practice. I looked through the boards containing sunset photos and there is no way to tell who owns the photos. Some are pinned to several boards. I tried to find the source and so far it is not possible. I cannot imagine that anyone who owned some of these lovely photos would ever pin them for anyone to use and to keep on pinning until the original owner was forgotten. The site was clearly created to eventually sell. Why anyone would buy a web site based on copyright theft is beyond me. It is time photographers checked out pinterest and sued the socks off them.

No comments: