Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Painting

Today I signed up for a painting class through the Grossmont Adult School. Classes are held throughout the district...which covers a lot of miles. The painting class is held in the Lakeside Community Center. So I thought it was perfect for me. When I got there I found out that it is a pastel class. Most of the students have taken the class before. They came with supplies...I didn't.

I decided to continue with the class. I do have a set of soft pastels that are years old...Hailey has been using them lately and she has created some very pretty work. I used to paint and take art classes but when Hailey came to live with me I put my art stuff away. She was 18 months old back then and it was not easy to keep her out of stuff or work with a small child needing attention. At the time I was also a resident manager of a mini storage facility. Hailey is seventeen now and I could have gotten back to doing art but just haven't...maybe it is time now.

For today the instructor gave me a piece of Canson paper and let me use her pastels. This is what I created from a photograph she passed out to the students. Scanned the painting on my scanner twice and put the scans together. I know it needs more work. My pastel doesn't look very much like anyone else's.


And Hailey let me have my pastels back. Just kidding...she would never keep my stuff, and she knows she can use them any time.

5 comments:

Ludwig said...

Beautiful work! So you are not only good with the camera but paint as well - some people get all the talent!

summerz said...

Good for you taking the class.

And Very pretty!
Great work for not having done it in awhile.
Looking forward to seeing more.

dotcombs said...

Thank you both. Right now I'm excited to get back to doing some creative art with media other than the computer. I do say that I put away my paints and drawing when I got Hailey but I also discovered computer art and Photoshop ahd then digital cameras.

Ladykli said...

Dorothy, for someone hasn't painted in awhile, you sure a lovely job! We are our own worst critic! (I'm my biggest & worst) It's beautiful and Good for you to getting back into to something you love!

carol edan said...

Wonderful that you are back to painting!!! Beautiful little fish... keep it up!!!!