Friday, November 12, 2010

Armistice Day-Veterans Day

Veterans Day is a national holiday and is the day after my birthday. My Great Uncle Burt Clark was at the front when the guns were silenced. Armistice Day was always important to him. He wasn't happy when they changed the name to Veterans Day. Times change and things change. We were in too many wars after WW1. It was a good thing to give all veterans a day of remembrance. Uncle Burt wanted to be buried at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. It was closed many years before my uncle passed but we found that they had cancellations and it was first come for the places. It is a beautiful place. His grave is on the bay side of the point.

I always think of Uncle Burt on Veterans Day.

Uncle Burt was there when we were children. He baby sat us for our Mama. He taught us to play cards and told wonderful stories about his growing up in the woods of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. I wish I could remember them all now. His mother died when he was a child. He had two younger brothers and two younger sisters. His father gave away the younger children. My grandmother was the youngest of all still a baby and she went to a home and was sort of adopted. His other sister was raised by grandparents. Burt and George the oldest of his younger brothers stayed with their father. Uncle Burt baby sat my children too.

No comments: