Sunday, October 25, 2009

Every Day is a Gift

My daughter and I went to a funeral yesterday. I didn't know the young man that died. My daughter is his mother's friend. He was 22 years old and I went to his baby shower. It was very sad to think that so much hope and joy and laughter on that day ended in a traffic accident. He died on Interstate 8 when a tire blew on his pickup truck. We saw a video made up of photos of his life. We heard his family and friends talk about him. He was a good friend and someone his family loved and was proud of. And I felt so sad for the life that was lost and all the people that loved him left behind.

Someone as old as me has been to more funerals than we would want. The older generation in my family is gone now. I am the older generation. What a surprise! So I remember that every day is a gift and being old is not so hard to take. My father used to say that it was better than the alternative.

I wish everyone would look at life as something special and try to be a good friend and family member, and most of all a good and decent member of society and of the world. My prayer for today is an end to terrorism and an end to people trying to tell society that they need more rules than our freedom to live life without harming others. That those people in this world that want make others less because of race or the fact that they were born female see the light and the wrong they do.

No comments: