Monday, July 13, 2009

Geocities

A few years ago Geocities was a great place to have a web page. Geocities was once exciting and vibrant. There were volunteers that made personal contact with homesteaders. It felt like a real community. My Geocities neighborhood was SoHo. And I used Geocities to show off the free to use computer graphics that I created. Also I had my rose photos on Geocities for a very short time. I wasn't happy with the watermark that began to appear and then the advertising. Then Yahoo bought Geocities...that was when I got my Yahoo email address. I got a paid space to stop the advertising which got worse after Yahoo took over. Then one day, Yahoo would no longer accept class files on Geocities. I was using a program called Artistscope that turns photos into class files to protect them from being downloaded. So had to move all my rose files.

Geocities was not my first web page. I had one at Prodigy and then switched to America Online and a separate personal web page on Netcom. AOL limited online time. Netcom gave me forty hours a month! Netcom was sold to Mindspring and that became Earthlink. My main website is still on Earthlink.

As I got away from the computer graphics that I had been creating I stopped uploading to my Geocities site. Must have been a premonition or something because last February I took all my things off Geocities. Now Yahoo is closing them down...will be all gone sometime in October.

It is sad to see the demise of Geocities.

No comments: