Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lindo Park



For much of my growing up in Lakeside the lake was dry. There was a lovely boat house with a bridge across to dry land on each side of it. I remember running across that bridge when there was still a little brackish water left in the lake. I was about six or seven so that was in the late 1940s. The boats had long gone. After the lake was dry someone got the idea to scrape the bottom of the lake. Unfortunatly that removed the silt that had worked as a liner keeping what water was left from sinking into the sandy soil. It also was the end of the boat house as it had been. The top was moved and made into a sort of gazebo. For many years water was pumped from a well and that kept a small area near the road wet and full of tulies. We had a very wet winter in about 1952 but even that wasn't enough to bring back the lake. The east half of the lake was made into a Little League field and a raised road way separated the lake in two.

About 1978 we began to have several wet years in a row. It seemed to happen so fast. One day I remember watching the television news show cracked silt in the bottom of some reservoir and then a few weeks later it was raining cats and dogs...We lived in Ramona at the time and I was working down in Escondido. The road between Ramona and Escondido washed out at a bridge not that far from the Wild Animal Park. I had to drive to I-15 and through Poway to get home. The rain poured down so hard I could barely see the road. I was late getting home. After I came up the grade on Poway road it was stop and start traffic. When I got near Mt. Woodson a wrecker was bringing a car up to the road from over the cliff. Then on the way into Ramona the road was flooded over and several cars had overturned. I drove slowly and got through. When I walked in the door at home my hands were shaking and E.R. upset that I was so late started yelling at me.

Lindo Lake filled with water. The houses at the east end of the lake flooded. People got upset. Some water was eventually released from the lake to the San Diego River but not enough to clear the Little League field. Some people wanted the field brought back and others wanted to keep the lake. The Little League field is long gone. The lake had been dry for about thirty years and now the water has been back thirty years or more. People forget.

The park is a beautiful place. Glenda and I met at the REC center. Then drove around the lake and down into the park. Saw lots of geese. Though there seems to be fewer other birds than I've seen there before. Last winter some idiot person with the county decided to drain the lake down. The water is back up but not as far as it should be.



We took photos and had an enjoyable time. We drove over to the far side of the lake and parked where we had a good view of the lake. The boat house was moved back to a spot in the lake where it might have been originally. There is a built up island for it and a dirt walkway to it. Not ever the same as it was though. That didn't make some people happy either as it was a nice place to sit out of the sun where it had been for so many years. I took this photo of the boathouse a few years ago.



Glenda is a lovely person and in no time we had spent an hour and a half. Time to leave, but looking forward to more photo outings.


This is a painted with a camera version of the same leaves.



No comments: