Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Just the Middle of the Week

Hailey will be back to school today. We are fighting it out though. She did have a cold and I did let her stay home yesterday, but give a little and then she doesn't want to go back. Her cold is gone, and she has already missed too much school. Like I said before when she was in sixth grade I believed her too much when she said she didn't feel well. She missed so many days the school was ready to turn me over to the sheriff's department. They threatened me with arrest. Even after I kept Hailey from missing any more days the attendance clerk had me scheduled to visit with a deputy. I managed to convince the clerk that I had turned things arround and she could see that Hailey had not missed a single day since. So didn't have to have the meeting with the sheriff deputy. Very scary.

Well that was this morning. Hailey stayed at school and went with her Show Choir class to perform in La Mesa. She still felt under the weather and was coughing when I picked her up from school. I feel really bad about it all. She pretended so much it is hard for me to tell when she is really sick or not.

E.R. and his brother Paul stopped by for a little while before they left to stay over night at Barona. After the races in Las Vegas E.R. is going to drive Paul back to IL.

There used to be a small stock car race track in El Cajon. It was near the airport. In the beginning it was a dirt track and my Dad was the contractor for the original grading. It was one of his first jobs as a grading contractor. The race track was on a long lease from the city of El Cajon and the city was really sorry they had ever leased the land. Over the years the track was paved. Most races were on Saturday evenings and only during the racing season...spring to fall. Then houses were built on the hills. People were not happy about the noise from the track. So all the races had to be over early. The owners would not give up the lease so the track stayed. E.R. used to like to go to the races on Saturday night. On the Fourth of July every year the track had a really good fireworks display. We used to drive over and find a place to park along the road...one year we parked in the parking lot. That year I got some nice fire works photos. Once, Hank Williams Jr. played there though it wasn't a very good place for a concert. Some of the drivers that got their start at Cajon Speedway went on to Nascar racing. The lease was up in 2004. A couple of years before that the owner was shot and killed at his front door by robbers. The killers were caught tried and sent to prison. I have always wondered how some people can think it is all right to harm others and throw their own lives away too. Now the track is gone. Things change.

I've been working on my photos from our quick trip to Borrego on Monday. Will post some tomorrow. Some came out pretty good and I managed to get some flowers I haven't photographed before. I got my CF cards mixed up and thought I had lost all my photos from Monday. It was a sinking feeling when I put the card in the reader and nothing! I found the missing CF card on the floor of my car...but not until after I spent the rest of Monday and part of Tuesday being pretty depressed about it. I've been looking through the book I bought Monday to identify some of the flowers in my photos. I like to shoot raw and that gives a large file size. Which can be a really good thing. In one of my photos a flower was sitting there near the one I was focusing on and it was so different. I'm sure I've never seen that one before. With a big file size it is easy to make a nice size photo out of a small part of the bigger picture.

No comments: