Sunday, February 3, 2008

Raising a Teen

Trying this again. Everyone should be asleep...except for me and a cat or two. I did see Fluffy walking through. It rained most of the day. The kitties didn't like that much, and they stayed in.

Yesterday I drove down to the mail boxes and happened to see Tuxie in the neighbors yard. She didn't come in when we called and then later she was making noises outside Hailey's room and scared Hailey. I opened the door and there was Tuxie...she ran inside happy to be home. There is a yard with dogs between us and the place where I saw her. She is taking chances being out so late.

Today Hailey is fourteen years old. I looked at some old photos of her. One shows her in her highchair with chocolate pudding all over her face. It seems such a short time ago she was a cute little girl. I never thought I would be raising another child. It has been fun and sometimes frustrating, but never dull. Children make life interesting. Just think in two years she will be driving a car...I don't even want to think about that. When her father learned to drive I thought thank goodness that was over with. They don't have driver's ed in the high schools here anymore. If someone under 18 wants a driver's license they have to pay to take a class. Once they are 18 they can just take the tests and get a license to drive. Wonder what happened? I always thought driver's ed was important...guess it just isn't. They would rather teach algebra which I took and never once used than something as important as how to drive which most of us need to learn...just think about all those young drivers out there that didn't have to take driver's ed...and I was trying to not be too scared of other drivers on the freeways.

Hailey didn't get to have her friends over...her cold seemed to just hang on. Guess there is a bad one making the rounds. So next week we will have the sleepover. She did get an iPod and fifty dollars to spend on iTunes. After all what good in an iPod without the music. She surprised me and downloaded 50 songs. All in all she had a happy day and she gets another cake in a week too.

If anyone has ever looked at my pages they see I'm a country music fan. I've got music that goes back years and years. When CD players came out I started replacing my records. Vinyl just didn't sound very good. And yes we did have some eight track tapes. They sure didn't last very long. Now I've gone from old 78s my mama had to to 45s and lots and lots of LPs with some tape thrown in and then CDs and now an iPod...can buy music on line so no more CDs. Back in the 1980s I took all my records to a used record store and sold them for about a buck apiece. Some they wouldn't buy. I'm keeping my CDs...at least they don't take up the room my LPs did.

I once had a 78 of Elvis singing Heartbreak Hotel. It got broken...that was the bad thing about those. Very breakable. Anyway I would have kept that! And still I have the Elvis 45s I bought when I was a teen.

Some people are happy about the Super Bowl. I guess a few of us in San Diego enjoyed seeing the team that beat the Chargers get the same back. My daughter had a bet on the Giants so she is a happy camper.

Friday Jackie and I went to a Thai and Sushi resturant in Santee. Very nice people and the food was good though we didn't have any sushi.





No comments: