Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thinking up these titles is hard to do.

This morning is a little foggy. Here the sun is burning the haze away, but will probably find more fog when I drive Hailey off the hill to school. There is a mouse in my kitchen! It poked its little head around the back of the stove when I was cooking bacon...scared me. I scared it too. Now I am going to have to get rid of it. I have five cats. That means no poison. Glue traps work pretty good as long as I can set them where the cats can't get to them. I hate mouses in the house. This one probably came in in a cat's mouth and got away. We've had live birds, and a live squirrel so it is not too far out to think they would bring in a live mouse. Last spring Tuxie brought in a baby sparrow hawk. We saved it...it was taken to a wild life place in San Diego. The next day we found another baby under a tall palm tree by our driveway...taken off to the same center. I like to think they are big birds flying around the county somewhere.

A few days ago I saved a robbin from Tuxie only to have it fly out of my hands when I got it outside and down into the paws of Stormy. It happened so fast. The robbin flew toward the wall of the house and Stormy jumped straight up paws extended and took the bird in the air, and that was the end. I tried to catch Stormy but she ran off.

On the way down the hill, I told Hailey about the mouse. She said not to tell her that, but I said it was really there. Then she said we should give it a name. Hailey is fourteen now...do kids really ever grow up? Anyway she suggested some names, but I said we should call it Timid. She didn't like that so we settled on Timmy. Then she said what if it is a girl...can't name a girl Timmy. Anyway how do you tell if a mouse is a girl or a boy. She said if they start having lots of baby mouses...I really don't like that idea! So I will be off later to the store for glue traps!

Hailey likes to name the stray cats that come around. They might have real names but we know them as Mystery, Spotty, etc.

No comments: