Friday, February 15, 2008

Pouring Rain

Night before last, I said it was going to rain. The weather report on TV said no rain. We wake up to very light sprinkles and the car radio on the way to Hailey's school said not to worry it would be warm and sunny by afternoon.

By mid morning it was pouring. I went to lunch with Janey. I don't mind driving in the rain and my car was getting a free carwash too. She drove from her house to a little Japanese, Thai, and sushi place in Santee. Same place Jackie and I lunched last week. The food was just as good. Janey and I have been friends since college. Her real name is Marna Jayne. She never let any one call her anything but Janey. Time sure changes our looks darn! Janey has a head of long curly, wavy not fuzzy, curls. Hair that is white now... it used to be red. Was the kind of hair people paid lots of money to the beauty shops to get only her's was natural. She keeps an old drivers license in her wallet, there is a good reason for that, and her old photo made her look like a teenager. Our current license photos are dreadful. So we laughed about that. What else is there to do? When Janey's hair first began to lighten up it turned gold red. Someone once asked her where she bought her wig from.

I used to dye my hair red. I had a streak of white on the top that always looked lighter red. I was asked more than once how I did it. Then they changed the dyes and I couldn't get the color right anymore so I quit dying and let it go natural. In the meantime I went even more silver on top. A lady once asked me how I got my hair to look like that. . . at least she didn't ask me where I got my wig!

After lunch we stopped by Barnes and Noble so I could buy a book on algebra. I need to help Hailey with her math. I bought Algebra for Dummies. There is a Dummies book for everything! It was pouring rain so hard Janey didn't want to leave the store. So we watched the rain a few minutes. Finally we just gave up and took off for the car.

Driving home there was lots of water on the roads. I splashed some pretty good puddles. I remember one rainy day my Dad driving us through puddles while Barbie and I had a great time watching the water splash up from the car tires. My Dad didn't often do stuff like that. Guess that's why I remember it so well.

Elizabeth picked Hailey up from school. We have the counseling appointment in El Cajon Thursdays so Hailey and I were off to El Cajon. The road over there is usually bumper to bumper traffic... pouring rain and the roads have a lot less cars. ... Well unless it is rush hour and then it is totally dangerous out there. Some drivers creep along and others drive like it was sunny day on the race track. On the way up the hill from lunch the car ahead of me came to a dead stop in the road because some old dead palm fronds had fallen on the road.

There is no place like Southern California.

No comments: