Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Posted: 03/20/09 11:14:01

Last Sunday was our Sharp Shooters trip to the Zoo. Had a great time though did get a bit tired. I got some wonderful shots of the elephants and giraffes. Was glad to see that area, since it will be changed when the new Elephant Odyssey will be opened soon. The giraffes will stay and have more room. Elephant Odyssey is not going to be about Africa etc. It is going to be about decedents or relatives of animals that once roamed over southern California. So there will be elephants, lions, and pronghorns and more.

We saw lots of pronghorns the summer we spent in Wyoming back in 1975. I took lots of photos of them and also painted a landscape with pronghorns from my photos. We stayed in a small travel trailer while E.R. worked out about 30 miles away during the week. While I was painting the picture there was a sandstorm outside and the grit came into the trailer and covered the table. My painting fell over onto the grit and so while it doesn't show, the thing has real Wyoming dirt mixed in with the paint.

I have started the In Focus III class. All about composition. So will see how well I do with that. I love taking photos and have most of my life. I don't know about messages...I have been thinking about that. Mostly my message is showing something I have seen and want to show others. Sometimes it is a scene...like a landscape. Sometimes it is people...my children growing up and then my granddaughter. Sometimes it is about how the light falls on something. I started taking my rose photos for painting reference but it was all about how the light fell on the petals and made them glow in the sunlight. The light is always changing. From day to day and season to season. You might see the perfect view only to have it gone in minutes and not to be seen for months or ever again. After we came back from Wyoming we lived another year in Lakeside and then moved to a little old house in Ramona. Across from our house was an old white water tower with a large palm growing next to it. One day I noticed that the sun fell across the tower and palm in a certain way for only a few minutes in the afternoons. The next day, I set up my camera on a tripod and waited for the sun to move into place. I got several photos and later used one to paint a small oil painting. Later I did a water color of the scene that I loved and then let my sister talk me out of it. Darn. As the season changed the sun moved and the light didn't fall across the water tower anymore in exactly that same way. We moved away from Ramona and in a windstorm the watertower fell. So my old faded snapshots are the only real evidence of, to me, a wonderful scene as it was. My paintings were not exactly like the scene...artistic license changes what we do to real life.

No comments: