Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Vacation

Hailey has been out of school a couple of weeks and for me that feels like I am on vacation too. Not having to get up at 6am! Driving her back and forth in the miserable traffic jams at El Cap! That is my vacation! Also, I am on a diet and lost some pounds at the start of the diet. My system wants to keep the weight so need to add some more activity to my days...move it and loose it...no pain no gain...no pain will gain...weight that is.

Yesterday I revamped my blog page. In '95 I had a web page and added graphics...some roses by making the background color of the roses the same as my background color of my page. I was making computer graphics before I found the web. As soon as transparent background gif files were possible I did the roses again and added a textured background to my page. I learned how to make seamless textures. I started another page for my rose photos and made that one black with red text. Someone wrote to me saying that red was hard for some people to read on black so changed my text to green. Hailey was little back then so once she was down for the night I would get on the computer.

Hailey is probably the reason I turned to the web. I've mentioned this before. I was painting both oils and watercolor...taking classes...then Hailey came into my life. She was 18 months old and that meant a child proof house. Oil paints are not safe for a child and I needed the time to spend with her. I managed a mini storage and lived there so worked at home. So computer graphics was my creative outlet. First with CorelDraw and then Photoshop. I had taken classes in Digital Photography and in CorelDraw too. The Digital Photography class was learning in black and white how to scan and edit photographs. The classroom did have a black and white digital camera and we each got to snap some photos in class...my first time touching a digital camera. I wanted one so badly. I used to dream about the Minolta...I think it sold for about $4,000. When the first low price digital came out...I bought one...I took some photos and then took it back to the store. It was dreadful.

I made a page of country music web site links and called it Country Stars. I made a special background for it and the title with two transparent stars. Right after that animated gifs were possible so made my red stars turn. That was fun because five point stars are not square and I did a lot of adjusting to keep them from bouncing as they turned.

My rose photo began to show up on other people's pages...mostly in graphic collections. Graphic collectors were people that searched web pages and lifted the graphics that caught their eye and then made their own page of these lifted graphics. That didn't make me a happy camper. I found a program that turned my rose photos into class files and made them harder to steal. As the years passed there are fewer and fewer graphic collection sites.

No comments: