Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Morning

This evening is the first Flash II class. I am so looking forward to that. I bought a cord for my flash but it is short. Hope it will do until I can get something longer.

This morning the sky was filled with lovely clouds edges lit by the sun. There was a beautiful sunset last evening...I didn't see it here...my daughter called me from her work and asked me if I could. She said it was amazing. We live in an area surrounded on three sides by hills. My only real view is east. I do get to see sunrises in the winter months that rival any sunset.

This house began life as a two room shack with a cobble stone fireplace. Later it was added onto several times. I am in the latest addition...the master bedroom with bath my dad and stepmom had built on. The original house was built of redwood and the first additions also used redwood. The back bedroom was added in 1940 I think. That is Hailey's room now. My dad and stepmom took the dividing wall out of the main house and opened it up to make a larger living room. Then my dad added on to the front porch and enclosed the whole to make a large room for a pool table. He put in a sliding door out to the pool area. The sliding door was put in backward. When we saw that it was worn out and needed to be replaced. We ordered one from Home Depot. E.R. and I put it in ourselves. He did most of the lifting. That was a hard job. Not only that in thirty years standard door sizes changed so we had to do some work on the door frame.

My step mom after my father passed away had the posts taken out and the room truly opened up. She had two large beams installed to hold up the roof. When we got the place that roof was sagging so we put in a large post to hold it up and two smaller posts. Basically putting back the original porch posts. Then made a separate small room out of that area. E.R. stays in that room. We live in a strange sort of peace.

Mostly because of our son David. It is hard to think of David as almost 43 years old. In some ways he still seems like the teenager he was. I read up on schizophrenia and tried to learn all about it. It has been over twenty years since then. When my parents trust was settled I bought this place from the trust to make sure David had a place to live. E.R. had rented the little house from my stepmom after my father passed away. She didn't want to be on the property alone. Her mother moved from LA to live with her. David began staying with E.R. then.

For several years, I was alone at the storage. Just me and my cats and the dogs. The first time in my life that I was ever alone. I found out that I liked it. I took classes at the community college and started painting. Sometimes John was there. When John married, and Lynn was expecting Hailey they lived in a trailer in a trailer park in Lakeside. Since it was our travel trailer, the manager called me and told me to remove it from the park. John and Lynn fought all the time. That is when they moved into the RV storage lot. I had said never! A lot of good that did me. I saw a lot of Hailey as a baby never dreaming that I would be raising her. And then my life would be changing again forever.

No comments: